Re: 3 Questions

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Mark Phillips wrote:

> >Maybe - do this on a running tcsh whose pid is xxx:
> >
> >cat /proc/xxx/environ | xargs -0n1 | grep '^TERM='
> >
> >to see what tcsh was passed as the TERM.  It should be the same in the
> >actual shell.
>
> I did this - the environ file is empty!!!  What could be wrong?

I doubt the file was empty.  You can't view it with less or something
because it stats as zero size.  Just cat it.  Use the xargs line to format
it nicely.

> Why will the problem go away - what's wrong with using the "-detach"
> option?

It'll still have a controlling terminal.  If you're using a shell
without job control (sh), it'll be in the same process group as the shell.

Guy