Re: 3 Questions

On Sun, 16 Jun 1996, Mark Phillips wrote:

> No - I checked, plus I even removed .cshrc and the problem remained.
> The strange thing is that TERM is set okay for xterms, but not for
> linux consoles.  Could there be a bug in tcsh?

Maybe - do this on a running tcsh whose pid is xxx:

cat /proc/xxx/environ | xargs -0n1 | grep '^TERM='

to see what tcsh was passed as the TERM.  It should be the same in the
actual shell.

> >Use "pppd -d /dev/cua1" instead, and your program will go away.

oops - I meant problem.

> >> Also, why is there no "ppp-off" script included with the ppp package?
> >
> >There is - /etc/ppp/ip-down
>
> But isn't this only executed after the link goes down?  How do I tell
> the link that I want it to go down - that's what I thought ppp-off was
> for?

Read the manpage for ppp under the signals option.  Send it a SIGTERM
with for example "killall pppd".

>  Also, if I put things like "reset the modem" in "ip-down", won't
> this happen even when pppd dies prematurely like I mention above (in
> which case I want to restart pppd rather than resetting the modem.)

Use the persist option for this.

Guy