Re: straightening out NFS

On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, Rick Hawkins wrote:

> this was also the case.  there were a handful of files that somehow lost
> their execute permissions.
>
> I reinstalled from the latest version of the boot disks, changed the
> 127.0.0.0 problem, uncommented the daemons, and all was well.
>
> (hmm, how about a utility that runs around the disk, finds these kinds
> of parameters, & saves them, so it can fix evil happenings later?  If i
> knew enoght, i'd write one . . .)

tripwire (which is available as a debian package) may be able to do some
(possibly most or even all) of what you need.

it's usually used as an automated way of monitoring changes to specified
files, with particular attention paid to setuid programs, etc. helps
keep an eye on the system to check if malicious users are hacking the
system and installing setuid root binaries in obscure directories.

You might be able to use it to monitor, e.g., all the scripts in
/etc/init.d/ for execute permission, and pipe the output into a script
which forces the right permissions.

Hmmmm..I vaguely recall that there IS a program to do what you want...i
might have seen an announcement of it in comp.os.linux.announce a year
or so ago.  Check the c.o.l.a archives or the linux software map.
No details, I don't even recall a name.  You're on your own.  Happy
hunting.

Craig