kernel-package and Lilo

I love the kernel-package thing; but the other day I used it to install a
kernel and the vmlinuz.old kernel was not in boot (I deleted it
accidentally).

The system would not boot -- may I humbly suggest that the install process
for the generated package checks if "lilo" returns an error and throws a
warning if it does?

(I'm thinking of the equiv. of "lilo (options) || echo Warning! blah blah")

and/or could LILO be run in "verbose" mode?

I suggest this because it would have saved me a lot of time..

In other words: (please idiot proof this for my benefit :) )

Thanks,

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__2.0.0___
"The C Programming Language -- A language which combines the
flexibility of assembly language with the power of assembly language."