Re: debian v1.1 probs

On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Rick Hawkins wrote:

> > > also, i couldn't find pine/pico anywhere on the debian tree.  i was
>
> > Because of a new, restrictive copyright, the pine package now lives in the
> > non-free section :-(
>
> what about including the older, free, version as a package?

As I understand it, there can not be two versions of the same package in
the same archive.
Also, the non-free section IS part of the archive. You are perfectly free
to use any of the packages there.
WRT Pine, you may freely use it, and can even put it on CD, if you get
permission from Pine, which they say they will give. It is the permission
requirement that restricts distribution freedom, thus putting the product
into non-free.
You are completely free to use the Pine package in non-free (or any other
packages found there). It is only the distribution of these package that
is not free. Check the copyright in all cases if you want to put them on a
cd or something.

Enjoy,

Dwarf