Re: installation notes

I (Sebastian Kuzminsky) wrote:
]    The Packages files not always up to date.  This causes the dselect
] tool to think version X of a particular package is available from the
] ftp server, when in reality the package available is X+epsilon.  This
] causes dselect to try to retrieve a non-existing file, and it fails.

Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> replied:
] The scripts that update Packages run every day at about noon, PDT.  I
] typically install packages in the evenings, so you're right that the
] files are not always up-to-date.
]
] I'll think about running the scripts by hand after I install.

   The Packages files in both the buzz/binary-i386 and the
unstable/binary-i386 directories STILL think the available xforms version
is 0.80j-2.  In both cases the available version is 0.80j-3....  Surely
it has been noon in PDT since installation of the updates xforms
packages.

   What's up with those two directories anyway?  Is "buzz" the code name
for Debian 1.1?  Should i retrieve the buzz stuff rather than unstable?

I wrote:
]    kerneld should be started before ANYTHING else happens, with the
] possible exception of a root filesystem check.  The reason for this
] is that it may be needed to load binary-format modules, or
] md-personalities, etc.  I had my system lock up during boot because
] i have swap on a raid0 md device, and i compiled raid0 as a module.

Guy Maor replied:
] But swap should be turned on before doing any memory-hungry things,
] like fsck for example.  kerneld is already started pretty early.  You
] can rename the S files in /etc/rc2.d (changing their numbers) if you
] want to change the order.
]
] My advice is not to compile raid0 as a module.  It'll never be removed,
] you realize, so there's really no benefit to compiling it as a module.

   I administer a couple of machines, some of whom can take advantage of
a raid0 driver (because they have many disks) and some who cant.  I like
to compile as minimal a kernel as possible, and localize the kernels for
the different machines using loadable modules for everything that is
common to all machine (like raid0 and serial drivers for example).

   I will read up on init 2.62 and change the rc file names as
appropriate to fix this problem on my local network.

   Also, how about including the Network Administrators Guide and the
System Administrators Guide in debian-doc?

Sebastian Kuzminsky
kuzminsk@cs.colorado.edu