Re: Debian 1.1beta problems

On 12 Jun 1996, Rob Browning wrote:

> David Gaudine <david@annette.concordia.ca> writes:
>
> > This does work.  Since I don't know how to find the configuration
> > programs for some package, I use dselect to remove the package and
> > then to reinstall it.  I assume there's a better way, but this does
> > work.
>
> There's nothing too terribly wrong with that, but often a package will
> tell you about it's config programs during the install process.
> Failing that, or if you forget what it told you, you can also either
> try reading the docs in /usr/doc/packagename, or more directly, try
> "dpkg --listfiles packagename".
>
> --
> Rob

If you have the package on your drive, you can just dpkg -i (package).

Dselect uses options to prevent it reinstalling packages that are already
in... A "reinstall" options along with install;remove;purge would be nice...
(but it's not real critical).

dpkg -i (already there package)  is good when you are dealing with
"essential" packages and so on.  (the manual attention is good for base
packages anyway :) )

-------
BTW I'd like to say I really like the new "[S]elect" screen in dselect...
Especially the new/broken packages at the top.
=======

__kmb203@psu.edu_________________________Debian__1.1___Linux__2.0.0___
You have new mail in /dev/null