Re: routing problem solved

The installation menu provides a prototype network number made from the
logical AND of your IP address and your netmask. If the user types in the
wrong netmask or overrides the prototype network number (which I think is
what happened here), they can get an incorrect value. I'll have to look at
this when I get home, I'm not in front of my Debian system.

Netmasks, by the way, can legitimately have zeroes in less than all 8
bits of the last octet. They should, however, have zeroes in one or
more low-order bits, and we could check for that.