Re: routing problem solved

The installation menu provides a prototype network number made from the
logical AND of your IP address and your netmask. If the user types in the
wrong netmask or overrides the prototype network number (which I think is
what happened here), they can get an incorrect value. I'll have to look at
this when I get home, I'm not in front of my Debian system.

Netmasks, by the way, can legitimately have zeroes in less than all 8
bits of the last octet. They should, however, have zeroes in one or
more low-order bits, and we could check for that.

	Thanks

	Bruce

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Rick Hawkins wrote:
> Under the beta releases with 1.3.9x, the following file is created:
>
> #!      /bin/sh
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
> route add 127.0.0.1
> IPADDR=129.186.31.38
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> NETWORK=129.186.31.38
> BROADCAST=129.186.31.255
> GATEWAY=129.186.31.254
> ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
> route add -net ${NETWORK}
> route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1
>
> these last two lines simply aren't working with the variable names.  I
> added

Gerry: