Re: Debian 1.1 man & more

On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Austin Donnelly wrote:

> Those systems maybe format the manpage to a temporary file, then
> use more to view that file.  Debian's man put the formatted output
> through a pipe directly to the pager, for speed.
>
> Note that you can also do:
>
>   $ export MANOPT='-Pless'
>
> so that you only get less when viewing manpages, not as your default
> pager (if for some reason you don't like less :)

Thanks for the education---`less' works great as the default pager.  Uh
oh, I feel a suggestion to a developer coming on.:)  Is it possible to
have `less' or `most' designed into man as the default pager so the
environment variable doesn't have to be set?  Is there an advantage to
using `more' that I'm not aware of? ----Richard