Re: big problems with installation

Syrus Nemat-Nasser wrote:
> My 0.93R6 system at home is the most stable linux system I have ever seen.
> Now that 1.1 is nearly ready for release, I agree that it is approaching
> the same level of stability.  It is true that 0.93 probably is not
> compatible with some of the newer hardware and software, but it is
> certainly worthy of its status as a "stable" distribution.

Well, maybe I haven't used the right term.  What I ment is that
the system (the kernel) never crashed on me (Linux haven't crashed
on me for a long time, but I'm not using it too heavily right now),
but things like ange-ftp not working under emacs, lots of missing
goodies etc.

Right now I'm running 1.1 upgraded from 0.93R6 with most programs
still from my short 0.93 era with no problems (except for the initial
kernel-compile problems you probably saw on the list).

> Regarding the removal of 0.93 from ftp sites, can't we keep it available
> as an "old" distribution?  There may be some people who will want to
> continue using it for some time.

I suppose that should be a gentler aproach.

Cheers.

--
--Amos Shapira                  | "Of course Australia was marked for
amos@dsi.co.il                  |  by the finest judges in England."