Re: Help. Can't boot all of a sudden.

In article <[🔎] 9606011813.AA12173@mccarthy.csd.uwo.ca>,
Dale Miller  <dale@csd.uwo.ca> wrote:
>I was using my linux box today and noticed that
>when I logged out on a tty the boo  login prompt
>did not return. I then rebooted and all of a sudden
>the kernel stoips booting at INIT: Booting v2.61.
>It stops here and will go no further. I updated
>a couple of packages like quota, cvs and a couple
>of others. Is there some way to get this to reboot
>without re-installing. Any help would be appreciated.

You probably deleted one or more files from /dev by accident..
boot from the boot/root set, mount your root file system under
/mnt and execute MAKEDEV in /mnt/dev.

Mike.
--
+ Miquel van Smoorenburg   + Cistron Internet Services +  Living is a     |
| miquels@cistron.nl (SP6) | Independent Dutch ISP     |   horizontal     |