Re: big problems with installation

> > Hello,
> >   I have an old AMD' 80386 40MHz with 4MB of RAM and I really like
> > to install Linux on it. I spent some time looking around and
> > then I decided to proceed with the Debian distribution.
> > Got the five disks of the 0.93R6 version I started the installation
> > but with no success at all.
> > I disabled all the option for shadowing ROM and I deleted all
> > the data on the HD (Conner CP30104 121MB) before to start.
> > Then I ran the boot and root disks (created with dd ...).
>
> Why don't you try installing Debian 1.1 beta instead of 0.93R6? It's
> located in the unstable directory of your friendly Debian mirror site.
> but don't be misled by the 'unstable' name... 1.1 is now in late beta and
> is quite stable now. And the installation process has been improved quite
> a bit in 1.1.

I do agree. You really should go for 1.1 beta. This version is supposed
to work with only 4mb. There have been recent changes in the setup
procedure to ensure that it is possible to install with 4mb. If it doesnt
work than something is definetely broken (Even win95 can be installed on
4mb machines :-) Please tell the mailing list if you are succesful with
1.1 beta. (BTW: Wenn will 1.1 be released?)

YOurs,
martin