Lost X on upgrade to 1.1

I just upgraded my laptop to 1.1 and now X is broken.  I keep getting
the messages:

apm_bios: set display standby: Unrecognized device ID
apm_bios: set display ready: Unrecognized device ID

when I try to run X.  I thought that maybe I just needed to change some
of the configuration, but nothing seems to help.  (I still have what
used to work, just in case.)  Also, the Control-Alt-PlusSign and
Control-Alt-BackSpace keystrokes do not seem to provide their advertized
functions (switch screens and exit X).

Any suggestions?  More information provided as needed.

Thanks,
David

--
  David H. Silber     dhs@firefly.com     Project: Vacation!