Re: new installation floppies - please test
On Tue, 21 May 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:
> Please download them and test them.
I've tried a fresh install with the May 21 floppies. Mostly, it
worked better than the previous version. Here are the things I noted:
1. Thanks for the "Release Notes" Screen. I was wondering if there
was going to be a way to identify which boot floppies I was using.
2. The 'Configure Device Driver Modules' was never the 'Next' item,
though I hope the finall install.html will suggest when to run it.
3. 'Configure Device Driver Modules' worked ok. for fs and misc (I
added psaux and nfs) but gave a 'Segmentation Violation' for
the 'net' directory. [Alas, 'net' is the one I really needed.
I used vt2 to insmod the ones I needed.]
4. After the 'smoke test', my /etc/modules file was still empty,
so I still had to go and add the modules I need by hand.
5. After fixing /etc/modules, rebooting didn't load those modules
gave the error message:
wd No dependency info for module /lib/current/net/wd.o
I fixed that by running 'depmod -a'.
All in all, it went a lot better than last time. Good work.
Andy Dougherty email@example.com
Dept. of Physics
Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042