Re: which..

Chris Walker <cjw1006@cam.ac.uk> writes:
> Richard.Dansereau@ee.umanitoba.ca wrote:
> >
> > Is the command "which" available in any of the debian releases?
>
> Here's a simple shell script I've installed in /usr/local/bin to perform
> the same task (thanks Jon). I'm afraid I don't know if it will be in
> Version 1.1.
>
>     #!/bin/sh
>
>     type -p $*

  This is appropriate if you have a legacy of shell scripts that use
  "which."

  If this is for interactive use, use the bash built-in "type."  It's
  heaps faster than "which."  I've aliased type to "type -a" which
  shows all the programs with the given name in your PATH.  Very
  useful.

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com>   ph: +1-415-854-1857  fax: +1-415-854-3195
Say it with MIME.  Maintainer of comp.mail.mh and news.software.nn FAQs.