Re: Must pppd be run by root?

Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Wed, 15 May 1996, Rick Macdonald wrote:
>
> > OK. This tells sudo that me and root (also me) can execute anything
> > on any machine. Also, everyone can execute pppd. You could of course
> > clamp this down to a list of users.
>
> or just have a ppp group and configure sudo to allow users in group ppp
> executed /usr/sbin/pppd :-)
>
> yep, your way of doing things will work.  I'm not sure if i like it
> though...i'll have to think about the security ramifications of adding
> several people to the sudo group.  It's brainfood anyway.

I believe that adding them to the group is not a security issue; it's what
commands you give them in /etc/sudoers. For just ppp, "ppp ALL=/usr/sbin/pppd"
should do it, but I didn't test groups, just usernames.

> > For minicom, I confess that I must have set the perms to 666!
>
> try mgetty rather than getty. it allows both dialin and dialout on the
> same line (and can also receive faxes if you want).

I've been using mgetty for a year or two, including send/receive fax
(on my previous slackware setup). Works fine.

--
...RickM...