Re: What is "comsat" for?

  Michael Alan Dorman writes:
  Michael>  Actually, I'm curious as to whether anyone knows of an X program
  Michael> that'll use comsat for notifying you of new mail?  All of the ones
  Michael> I can find seem to want to check the filesytem, something that
  Michael> would be less than optimal for me, since I've got a bazillion
  Michael> folders stuff can be filtered into---procmail can send comsat
  Michael> notification, though, if something can respond to it.

One day I'll hack rclock a little more (or persuade someone to do it for me
---any takers?) and have it look out for changes in a couple of folders (yes,
sir, procmail is being used here).

rclock is a xclock replacement by Robert Nation which does away with xclock
and xbiff, but it only looks at one folder ($MAIL, so I changed that as I
don't set $MAIL, to /var/spool/mail/$USER).  But it uses stat() rather than
comsat.

I am sure that this can become the killer application Linux has waited for in
order to achieve world dominance Real Soon Now. Think about it --- no more
xbiff, and a clock for free ....

--
Dirk Eddelb"uttel                              http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/~edd