NOtes on upgrade to beta1.1

This weekend I upgraded to 1.1 by hand using dpkg-1.1.5aout.deb

I ran into the following glitches:

1)  Following Dale's script, I noticed that bsdutils-3.0-1 pre-depends
    on sysvinit (>= 2.59-2). I solved it by defering installation of
    bsdutils until after I upgraded sysvinit.

2)  It seems that a number of man pages were in both the manpages
    package and the packages containing the documented commands.
    I just read a message from Martin Schulze that says manpages-1.11-2
    fixes these.  Cool!

3) image-1.3.64-0.deb doesn't seem to have any of the network modules.
   I was looking for ppp in particular.  I solved it for my system
   by installing the kernel source and making/installing the kernel
   and modules.

4) I had to manually edit the /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep
   file in order to get ppp and the other network modules to work.
   Is there a script that automates this for debian?

   (It took my quite a while to figure out how to get the network modules
   built and configured correctly.  I think there should be an easier
   way to upgrade while maintaining ppp capability.)

5) I noticed that I had to set my user password once before I could login
   through xdm or use a number of programs.  Before I changed my
   password I could login only through the console, and many programs
   would give me the "You don't exist.  Go away." error.  (The problems
   only showed up when I logged in as a user. i.e. when I logged in as
   root the problems didn't happen.)

I'm now using 1.1 files for the base packages, and most of the net and
devel packages.  Things appear to be working well!  I am happy! :)

Thanks everybody!

(By the way, where do I find identd in 1.1?)

- Lee

--
Lee Olds
olds@eskimo.com