Re: Upgrading to 1.1 via the "Dale (tm)" method..

In article <[🔎] 199604272037.NAA21832@eskimo.com> you write:

>> I got the following error as I was upgrading to 1.1 by following the
>> script provided by Dale.
>>
>> bsdutils-2.0-2.deb pre-depends on sysvinit >= 2.59-2
>
>(Oops, typo.  Make that bsdutils-3.0-2.deb)
>                               *
>>
>> I noticed that sysvinit-2.60-1.deb is installed near the end of the script.
>>
>> I couldn't find a sysvinit >= 2.59-2 in the stable directories, and I'm
>> concerned that upgrading to the latest one out of order could cause
>> problems.
>>
>> What's the best way to resolve this?  Is it safe to defer installation
>> of bsdutils until after the new sysvinit is installed?

Yes, leaving bsdutils until later should be fine.

I'm intrigued by the error message you got when your tried to
install bsdutils though. Bsdutils-3.0-2 only 'depends' on
sysvinit >=2.59-2, it doesn't 'pre-depend'.

The only reason for the dependancy is so that you get a the 'mesg'
command that was moved out of bsdutils and into sysvinit. So in this
case forcing the install with --force-depends shouldn't have
any nasty side-effects.

Austin 'bsdutils maintainer' Donnelly