Re: problem with info

> Susan G. Kleinmann wrote:
> >
> > Ever since I upgraded to 1.1 (about a month ago) I haven't been able to
> > get info to work properly.  I've purged and installed it a couple of times,
> > to no avail.

> Susan:
>
> Check to see if there is still a 'dir' file in your info directory.
>
> I had something similar happen once a while ago and it was caused by
> the missing dir (top of info tree).
> --
> Respectfully:
>
> 						David Walter
> 						djw18@cornell.edu

Hi David --
Thanks for responding, but yes, there was a dir file in the /usr/info
directory.

Having been given your hint, though, I read a little ways through dir,
and then tried the following, which relieved the problem somewhat
for the program 'tar':

install-info --remove tar
install-info tar.info.gz

That added tar, but complained that I hadn't specified a section, so tar
was being added 'to the end of the list', which _sounded_ undesirable.

In order to install all the other commands with info files in /usr/info,
I'll have to remove, then add them, one at a time.  By doing that the way
I did it for 'tar', I'll wind up with a system where all the files
have been randomly added to the back of the bus, as it were -- this can't
possibly be the 'right' way to do it.

I'd not worry about this so much except I just made a clean install to
another system a couple of days ago, and I see that the info system is
equally as messed up on that one as it is on this one.  So something bad
happened to info, install-info, or something else in the last few months,
and I just don't know enough about info to diagnose it very specifically.

Thanks again for your help.  If any more ideas come to mind, ... :-)

Susan Kleinmann
sgk@sgk.tiac.net