problem with info

Ever since I upgraded to 1.1 (about a month ago) I haven't been able to
get info to work properly.  I've purged and installed it a couple of times,
to no avail.

Problems:
a) 'info <anything>' shows nothing but
    File: *manpages*, Node: <anything>, Up: (dir)

    the first time I invoke it.  Thereafter,

b) 'info <anything>' just shows a man page, even though the info files are
    very obviously there in /usr/info.

The versions of the programs I have are:
ii  info            3.7-1
ii  texinfo         3.7-1

My INFOPATH hasn't changed from 0.93R6, when info worked as expected.
Can anyone tell me what else might have changed?

Thanks in advance,
Susan Kleinmann
sgk@sgk.tiac.net