Re: Various problems with 1.1

On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, David M Smith wrote:

> I've successfully upgraded my system to 1.1 using the Dale method(TM)
> and most things seem to be working fine.  I have a few niggling
> problems though -- maybe someone out there can help?
>
> 1. On boot, I get messages like
>
> 	No dependency information for module /lib/modules/current/fs/nfs.o
>
>    What does this mean, and how can I fix it?

Check out the man pages on depmod and modprobe, one of these should be
able to fix the problem.

> 2. The console seems to be configured for a US rather than a UK
>    keyboard.  The only script in init.d which runs the kdb program is
>    `console', so I can fix the problem by changing us.map to gb.map
>    and running the console script.  However I assume it's meant to be
>    run at boot time, but as far as I can tell, it's not.
>

> 3. I've had to install XFree3.1.2D to support my Mach64 card.  The
>    a.out version worked fine with 9.3R6, but this time I installed the
>    ELF version.  Works fine, except xterm won't run -- can't find
>    libtermcap.so.2.  I've got libtermcap.a and libtermcap.sa, so why
>    doesn't it work?  Where (what package) can I get libtermcap.so.2?
>    ldconfig doesn't fix the problem.

Libtermcap has been superceeded by libncurses, but some packages still
haven't converted. You should be able to make a symlink to the
libtermcap.a library and get it to work. I think someone is working on the
xterm problem, so keep an ear to the ground :-)

> 4. Dselect keeps on complaining about dpkg (currently 1.1.5aout),
>    because (I think) it depends on the a.out C libraries which
>    conflict with other stuff.  I've put it on hold to avoid the
>    problem, but shouldn't there be an ELF version of dpkg available?

I believe that the elf version of dpkg is in experimental. Look around for
it.

> 5. Somehow I seemed to end up with a fairly corrupted filesystem (fsck
>    had to make about 8 fixes on my /usr partition), despite having a
>    clean shutdown every time.  fsck seems to have fixed this problem
>    though.

If you are running a 1.2.13 kernel and have a dual channel IDE controler
and your installation mounts drives on both controlers you will get file
corruption as a result.

> 6. Is it possible to have more than one version of a package installed
>    at once?  I'd like to have 1.2.13 and 1.3.64 of `source' installed
>    at once, but updating to 1.3.64 removed 1.2.13.  (Incidentally,
>    when it tried to remove 1.2.13, it left all the .o files behind;
>    shouldn't the remove script to a `make clean' first?)

The best way to deal with kernel-sources is to get the complete source
tree from ftp.cs.helsinki.fi/ I think the path is
/pub/People/TorvaldsLinux/1.3 (something close anyway). Untar it in
/usr/src and rename the linux tree to kernel-source-xxxx. You can keep
multiple xxxx directories, and compile and install one kernel or another,
at your leisure.

Luck,

Dwarf