Re: New Markets

On Fri, 19 Apr 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Like I said, there should be releases every 3 months or so, with the
> "latest" available in an "unstable" directory for FTP users only. I am
> pretty sure we can avoid the dire scenarios you paint.

One thing that bothers me a bit is that when unstable/ gets renamed to
debian-1.1/ on ftp.debian.org, then all the mirror sites are going to
spend hours fetching files that they already have.

Wouldn't it make more sense to call the directory debian-1.1/ right from
the start, and make unstable a symbolic link to it?

Then we'd have something like:

debian-0.93r6/
debian-1.1/
stable -> debian-0.93r6
unstable -> debian-1.1/

When 1.1 is out of beta testing, a new debian-1.2/ directory is created
for the next alpha/beta series, and the symbolic links are changed so
that:

stable -> debian-1.1/
unstable -> debian-1.2/

Craig