Floppy X

Hi,

I know that X can not be put in the 3 base disks but think
it would be possible to put VGA server, core binary (I mean
the absolute minimum) in
a few disks(I do not know the sizes so I just guess) so that
users can log in to X as root. If dselect is made in X later
I am sure this will be a base.
I suggest additional base disks for X. Therefore there is an
option in the installation whether people want to have minum
X. If they want they can put X base disks in the base disk
unpacking.

The trouble I have is I have a home computer which is not
connected to modem or ethernet(in may it will be connected
to university ethernet, though). I do not need anything but
X and Perl for programming at home. Whenever I copy all these
X lib, binary and servers, somehow floppy corruption occurs
especially with floppies non Sony (sony is the only high quality
floppy I have, others are cheap OEMs). Also, I do not know
what are the very necessary components for minimal running so
I tend to copy a lot.

When I tried to install, dselect tells me dependency problems.
I think it is because I have too many floppies which are
mixed with different releases(some unstable some older). As you
know people do not organize floppies (that is why people
want to computer to organize things).

Whatever the experience, I believe there are cirtain
circumstances where some people simply do not have
CD roms, CDs, modem, ethernet but just floppy. Or even some of
you who are connected to net will have certain occasions where
you want to have a set of floppies which can be handy.
I think it is important to be prepared for such circumstances
in distribution.

I really wonder how many people still use 5 inch floppies, but
there are always 5 inch disk base distribution.

I am sure floppies will be outdated soon, present system is
a bit unkind. It is essentially saying, copy 5 basic disks if
you want to have nothing but one single terminal on your
P5 or copy at least 50 floppies to make your p5 useful with
Linux.

Different level of base disks will be ideal.
1. The very basic = 5 disks
2. With minimal X , say   8 disks
3. With most editors, say  10 disks
4. With useful utilities say 13 disks
5. nearly complete, say 30 disks

--
Jong
  >Perl Digest :  almanac@ruby.oce.orst.edu with 'subscribe perl-users'
  Everything about Perl:  http://www.perl.com/perl/index.html

*PERL also stands for Protein Engineering Research Language