Re: New Markets

Lars Wirzenius wrote:

> I'd allocate two months for anything-goes updates, and one month for
> bug-fixes-only updates.  After three months, you should have an improved,
> but stable system that can be released.

Sounds OK, more or less...   ;-)
Where do people put "anything-goes updates" during the one
month of "bug-fixes-only updates"? Just hold them back?
This is why I had suggested a separate stable and unstable tree.
Maybe this: after 2 months the unstable is copied to a prerelease
(or beta!) directory, called 1.2beta or something, where it would
receive bug-fixes only until it was released as 1.2. The unstable
would always be actively accepting updates.

> There may be a need to fix things before the next three-monthly release.
> For this, add a fixes directory:
>         1.1-fixes
> This does mean that people have to download both 1.1 and 1.1-fixes, but
> I think it is important to not change 1.1 after it has been released,
> not even to add fixes.  Keep the fixes separate.

I hope everyone agrees that a numbered release shouldn't ever be changed
after it's released. Oops, I don't thnk this was the way 0.93R6 was handled...

--
...RickM...