Re: bigger, sexier, more phly debian...

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens)  wrote on 15.04.96 in <[🔎] m0u8t9H-00063bC@mongo.pixar.com>:

> PostScript at all - they let a guy at NeXT design it for them. Of course
> Java is the successor to NeWS - few people seem to realize that yet.

I'm not familiar with NeWS, though I heard people groaning about it.

I've been thinking for years that there's need for a replacement for X
that keeps the networking features, adds local processing in the display
server (network performance, especially on slow links, is a real problem
with X), and adds a much larger set of what X people call widgets or
stuff, that is, a library for all the commonly needed user interface
elements (so it's easier to get some sort of common look to programs,
which is something X is very bad on).

During the last months, I've finally seen a way to get there without
ending in a very small niche.

Do it with Java. Everybody and his dog is already using it, and it already
does execution of programs received via network, and it's already ported
to every toaster around.

Unfortunately, I currently don't have the time to do it :-(

MfG Kai