Re: Moving Debian from one HD to another

Hello.

David L. Johnson said:

[Klippa, klapp, kluppit]

> cp /* /.* /foobar
>
> cp --recursive /usr /var /etc /root /foobar
>
> (this should give copies or everything in the standard distribution into
> /foobar/.  I may have forgotten a directory, though).  Don't copy /proc.

Just wanted to warn you that cp copies symbolic links as real files.
Thus if you had:

-rw-r-----   1 ms318    erisoft        4 Apr 11 11:07 jjj
lrwxrwxrwx   1 ms318    erisoft        3 Apr 11 11:07 kkk -> jjj

in old and did "cp -r old new/" you would get

-rw-r-----   1 ms318    erisoft        4 Apr 11 11:07 jjj
-rw-r-----   1 ms318    erisoft        4 Apr 11 11:07 kkk

in new/old/.

(I tested this on a Solaris system, so I'm not 100% about the behaviour on
Debian, but I think it ought to be the same.)

The solution to this is to use tar (as in another Debianer's letter):

"tar -cf - old | (cd new; tar -xpf - )".

[Klippa, klapp, kluppit]

> Wait for someone else to tear me apart on this list before you try it.
> Please, folks, what is wrong with this??

No tearing -> no tears.

> --
>
> David L. Johnson         	dlj0@lehigh.edu  dlj0@netaxs.com
> Department of Mathematics	http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html