error messages from /etc/cron.daily/smail

Hi all:

I think I fixed this problem. Would someone please let me know if I have
made some more problems with the fix.

I regularly get a bunch of messages from cron:

   shell-init: could not get current directory: getwd: cannot access parent
   directories
   job-working-directory: could not get current directory: getwd: cannot
   access parent directories
   cd_links: could not get current directory: getwd: cannot access parent
   directories standard

I added a line in the file /etc/cron.daily/smail that echo the strings
"smail" and "end smail" to ascertain that these are indeed coming from
the smail job.

The smail file in /etc/cron.daily does an su mail to do its task, an ls
-ld /var/spool/mail says root owns that file. I chown'ed that to mail
ownership, and things seem to work ok.

Am I going to see trouble down the road? Is there a more desirable fix?

---David