"Official CDs"

> I still don't know of an official Debian disk, I guess Pacific
> High Tech makes good disks at low prices

Debian 1.1 comes with all of the necessary files and programs necessary
to manufacture your own Debian CDs. We expect there will be a _lot_ of
them. The supported pre-mastering recorders are the HP, Yamaha, and
Philips CD-writers. Replication costs $2000 per 1000 discs these days.
We will be publishing a recommended donation structure for CD
manufacturers.  We will publish who makes donations so that you'll know
what CD manufacturers support the project. Nobody will be _compelled_
to donate anything, but it will be good advertising to do so!

At the moment, I don't really see the need for an "official" CD, as I'd
prefer to have a lot of different CD sources and let them find their own
ways to add value, pursue vertical markets, etc. I personally will be
selling a CD, but it's not going to be any more "official" than anyone
else's. I know of two other maintainers who work as hard as I do and
will be selling their own CDs.

A number of Linux distributions that aren't keeping up with Debian or
Red Hat would be well-advised to use 1.1 as a basis for their next
release. That way, they can concentrate on the added value that makes
them different from everyone else and let Debian provide the "base".
We'd welcome them into the fold.

And what's this about a maintainer shortage? There are 70. If they
were on salary, our payroll would be US$3.5 million/year!

I have to go now. There's a lot of work to get done to meet our April
15 beta-test date.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
--
Pixar Animation Studios: Reality is not our business.
Pixar's "Toy Story" $184.5M domestic, $66M overseas and counting.