Re: smail problems

Carlos Carvalho writes:

>I installed smail from the stable tree, and the test to the
>linux-counter worked. However the machine refused to receive
>mail. The problem is that smail is not installed as a daemon, and the
>smtpd line in inetd.conf is commented out, and remains so, so that
>there's nothing to take care of the message.

If the smtp listener doesn't get installed correctly, that's a bug...

>Since smail is intended as a replacement of sendmail, perhaps it
>should be installed in the same way, as a daemon. If the machine
>receives many msgs. a day this is better than invoking smtpd from
>inted. This is how I set my machine up now.

OTOH those of us who are using machines which spend most of the time
doing something other than receiving mail might prefer the mailer to
run from inetd and cron, be it smail or sendmail...

IMHO the best solution would be for the user to be asked which
alternative they'd prefer at installation time (including an
alternative of not having an SMTP listener at all).

--
Richard Kettlewell
richard@elmail.co.uk                    http://www.elmail.co.uk/staff/richard/