setlocale problem...

Each time I run perl or some other programs whose names I can't remember,
I get the following:

warning: setlocale(LC_CTYPE, "") failed.
warning: LC_ALL = "(null)", LC_CTYPE = "iso_8859_1", LANG = "(null)",
warning: falling back to the "C" locale.

I guess this is libc complaining, since the error message is identical
across programs. What package do I install to fix that? I'm running libc
5.2.18, if it helps.

(No, doing "unsetenv LC_CTYPE" is not the kind of answer I'm looking for.)

    Christian