Re: Seg 11 in GCC

At 12:47 PM 3/28/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I have a hard time believing that RAM goes bad as much as you guys/gals
>claim. Nor do I really believe this would happen with modern machines.
>Yes GCC is a memory hog (though they are trying to fix this). If you
>encounter a memory hardware error I think your machine probably would
>not have booted in the first place.
>
>Under GCC 2.6.3 there are certain versions of the kernel that will not
>compile but this has nothing to do with bad memory. Under GCC 2.7.0 you
>are more likely have been illegally mixing ELF and a.out object files or
>libraries.
>
>If you guys/gals REALLY believe you have bad RAM. Please feel free to
>send me all your "bad memory" (simms only please) where your only
>symptom is a Seg fault in gcc. Send RAM to:
>
>Glenn Bily
>338B Reynolds WCU
>Cullowhee, NC 28723
>
>I need the money.

Ummm, here here! :-)

Look, I've got the same problem.  But it *only* happens in my PCI machines
(486-100/p66).  If I change the WRITE BACK caching option into the CMOS to
WRITE THROUGH then the error has dissappeared forever.  I can also put that
ram into another machine that isn't PCI (I've done that with 5 now) and the
ram works perfectly under the exact same setup as the PCI machine.  IT may
bne wise doing what I said and seeing if it happens also.

...Karl
--
Karl Ferguson <karl@tower.net.au>                Tel: +61-9-455-3446
                                                 Fax: +61-9-455-2776