Initial boot disk

Hi all,

I need some pointers on how to create an inital debian boot disk.  I have a new pentium
box that I want to install Linux on, but it needs a 1.3.67 kernel for the Adaptec SCSI
card.  I thought I could just edit the Makefile with the proper parms, ROOT-DEV=FLOPPY,
and RAMDISK, config the kernel and do a make zdisk to get a good boot floppy.

Well, it boots up fine, recongnizes the SCSI card, and asks for the root floppy.  But
thats about it.  When I put the root floppy in it mounts read-only, I get the first of
the debian install panels with no verbage, then I get a lot of error messages about
/tmp being read-only.

Any help greatly appreciated.

--
Mike Chovan