xconsole and who owns /dev/console?

  Hello. I have done some housecleaning and some of my on-going
X-related problems have disappeared, but not my xconsole problem.

  Two things about using xconsole on my present setup strike me as

  (1) no messages appear in user gonzo's xconsole window unless root
issues a
		kill -HUP `cat /var/syslog.pid`

   (2) possibly as a consequence of (1), gonzo *owns* /dev/console
after he quits X (on my setup /dev/console is a link to /dev/tty0).

    Is the system trying to tell me that I (as `root') should not be
allowing users to run xconsole?