xfig and fvwm in "unstable" tree

It seems that the conflict between the xpm and the xpm4.7 packages in
the unstable/binary-i386 tree results in difficulties in getting both
xfig and fvwm installed.  The dependencies are

 Package: xfig
 Section: graphics
 Maintainer: D.J. Gregor <dgregor@gregor.com>
 Version: 3.1.3-5
 Depends: X11R6, xpm
 Recommends: transfig

 Package: fvwm
 Section: x11
 Maintainer: Austin Donnelly <and1000@cam.ac.uk>
 Version: 1.24r-21
 Depends: libc5, elf-x11r6lib, m4, xpm4.7

 Package: xpm4.7
 Maintainer: mdorman@lot49.med.miami.edu
 Version: 3.4g-2
 Depends: libc5, elf-x11r6lib
 Conflicts: xpm

Is it possible to generate an xfig that uses xpm4.7?
Alternatively, is there a mechanism under which the xpm4.7 package can
claim to provide xpm?

(Before I receive the inevitable suggestions of "Why don't you make a
Debian package for it?", I have to point out in all politeness that my
signature indicates I am visiting at this location.  After June I will
not have easy access to this machine.  It is not worthwhile for me to
take on the responsibility to work on a package only to drop it in a
couple of months.  I appreciate the efforts of those who do maintain
packages and regret that I cannot reciprocate.)

--
Douglas Bates             Dept. of Statistics, U. of Wisconsin-Madison
            (visiting at: Dept. of Statistics, U. of Adelaide)