Re: Color-ls package

On Fri, 15 Mar 1996 Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:

>   Syrus> However, do you want me to leave the dir and vdir binaries
>   Syrus> untouched?
>
> Hm, hadn't thought about that one.
>
> And as Bernd is supposedly right, then why do we have three distinct binaries
> /bin/{ls,dir,vdir} instead of one with two more links. Maybe this is a bug in
> our fileutils package?

[SNIP]

>   Syrus> Is it such a big deal to upgrade the whole fileutils?  It's not a
>   Syrus> big binary.
>
> I would be in favour of a new, color-ls patched, fileutils package now ---
> but not a second one, alternative to the unpatched one.  Why do we have to
> wait for 1.1?

There are two choices: Replace the fileutils to include color support, thus
consolidating three binaries into ls.  Alternatively, provide a small package
which only replaces ls, dir, and vdir, and adds dircolors, the
/etc/DIR_COLORS file, and the added/changed man pages.  I am a few steps away
from the first option, but the second would be doable as well.  If the
color haters do not object, I believe we could consolidate the package right
now.  I await opinions from the group.

BTW, could someone tell me if the current dir in debian 0.93 is supposed to
do something different than ls?  On many unix systems, dir is the same as
ls -l, isn't it?  On my system, dir and ls do the same thing by default.

Syrus.

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <syrus@ucsd.edu>    UCSD Physics Dept.