Re: /etc/rc.local not used?

---------  Received message begins Here  ---------

> From debian-user-request@Pixar.com Sat Mar  9 09:40 EST 1996
>
> eckes wrote:
> > > I'd like some feedback on this issue.
> >
> > I like the SYSV init.d style very much. I don't think we should give the
> > user a hook to fall back to the old ugly BSD style. The file should be
> > removed completely.
>
> No, especially for people who don't now the SYSV init style it's an
> easy way to start a program. Maybe we should add short notice to this
> file that it is better to use the /etc/init.d files and maybe a short
> example how to use update-rc.d.
Yes, please!  Or at least a pointer to a document that discusses this
issue.  It's not obvious to those of us who aren't SYSV professional
adminstrators/programmers/developers.

Thanks.

> Peter
>
> --
>  Peter Tobias                                EMail:
>  Fachhochschule Ostfriesland                 tobias@et-inf.fho-emden.de
>  Fachbereich Elektrotechnik und Informatik   tobias@perseus.fho-emden.de
>  Constantiaplatz 4, 26723 Emden, Germany

Jim.

Jim Lynch, Sales Analyst,  Cray Research, Inc. / ARS: K4GVO
Southeast District, Phone: (770) 631-2254, Email: jwl@cray.com
Suite 270, 200 Westpark Drive, Peachtree City, GA 30269