Re: Getting ATAPI CDROM recognized

On Mon, 4 Mar 1996, Tracy Sweat wrote:

> I've installed Debian GNU/Linux and included the isofs module.  What else do
> I need to do/install to get my ATAPI CDROM up and running?  When I try:
>
> mount -t iso9660 /dev/hd1a /cdrom
> I get:
> /dev/hd1a not a block device

hd1a means nothing, perhaps you read some very old docs.

> The CDROM is the master drive on the secondary EIDE controller.

Then it should be /dev/hdc

> If there's a FAQ or other documentation that would help solve this problem
> please point me to it.  Thanks for your help.

Point your browser to:
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/LDP/gs/node72.html#SECTION00432000000000000000

(Or one of the mirrors.) That's part of the Linux Documentation Project.
Here is the pertinent bit:

Device                                        Name
First floppy (A:)                             /dev/fdo
Second floppy (B:)                            /dev/fd1
First hard drive (entire drive)               /dev/hda
First hard drive, primary partition 1         /dev/hda1
First hard drive, primary partition 2         /dev/hda2
First hard drive, primary partition 3         /dev/hda3
First hard drive, primary partition 4         /dev/hda4
First hard drive, logical partition 1         /dev/hda5
First hard drive, logical partition 2         /dev/hda6
//
Second hard drive (entire drive)              /dev/hdb
Second hard drive, primary partiton 1         /dev/hdb1
//

The first hard drive being master of the primary ide, the second
being his slave. The third hard drive (hdc) is master of the
secondary ide, the fourth hard drive (hdd) being his slave.

 #  sbolt@xs4all.nl  #   Steven Bolt   #  popular science monthly KIJK  #