Re: preinstalled software

On Thu, 29 Feb 1996, Stephan Pfab wrote:

> Richard Kaszeta <kaszeta@me.umn.edu> wrote:
>
> >I agree with this... For example, I already have (a.out) tcl 7.4 and
> >tk 4.0 on my system, in /usr/local... Quite a few packages would
> >squawk when I installed them, claiming I needed tcl/tk... There should
> >be a very simple mechanism to allow me to update dpkg's stuff to say
> >that the stuff I already have 'provides' tcl/tk...
>
> Is there a 'expert'-mode that lets you override dependencies ?

dpkg --force-depends will override dependencies.  Do dpkg --force-help
to learn about other forcing options.

btw, an elf program won't link with an a.out library, so this isn't
going to work.  The reason some programs depend on tcl >= 7.4 is that
these programs are elf, and 7.4 was when the tcl libs went elf.  I
agree that that's not terribly obvious; a virtual package called tclelf
should have been used.

Guy