Re: Starting xconsole R6

Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>  I think you need to set the DISPLAY variable so your X windows
> applications can find it.
> export DISPLAY=:0.0  # belongs in ~/.profile (aka ~/.bash_profile)

This and *not* being root made a remarkable difference. I only started
using X a couple of months ago because I had to have Netscape and refused
to run it under Windows... what a wonderful world without Billys' big foot
in it... now, some more 3d raised widgets to get rid of the remaining flat
appearance and it'll even _all_ look good, not just Netscape, which I guess
is what is refered to as the "Motif look".

Even xconsole works, thanks to the "-file" arg... this is a great list,
thanks all. Oh, and...

> me, in another life form, then Karl:
>
> ---------- quote on ------------
> Also, xedit sucks, has anyone done xed ? I'm after any half decent editor
> for x other than x-emacs, like, something with a GUI interface, like Notepad
> for win31, (says he, as he bolts out the door and runs like hell... :)
> ---------- end quote -----------
>
>   Emacs is the one true editor.  It no longer sucks, it has grown up and
> left home.  It bathes daily, and collects its garbage.  If you use it
> daily, you will come to love it.  After only 6 months of using Linux,
> X-Windows and both forms of Emacs (FSF & Xemacs), my memories of MS
> Windows seem like a dull fat pencil and wide ruled paper compared to a
> Parker pen and fine stationery. (My handwriting and keyboarding skills
> are improving.)

What can I say !? It took me 12 months of ignoring it, an hour to download it,
5 minutes to unpack it.... less than 1 minute to say "yup, got me :-)". It's
obviously obvious enough for a beginner and sophisticated enough for a veteran,
perfect. Any other X beginners out there, take heed...

Bastard, now I'll never get any sleep.

--
Mark Constable (+61 7 55275724)
mailto:markc@ion.com.au