Re: Starting xconsole R6

    Stephen> On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Robert Kantor wrote:
    >> I am having a problem bringing up any Xclient applications.
    >> Upon start up, XDM appears to start without any problems.  When
    >> I try and execute 'Xconsole' I get a message 'Error: can't open
    >> display'.  I have tried reconfiguring a multiple of ways
    >> without any success.

    Stephen> You haven't made it clear exactly what happens. This is
    Stephen> my interpretation of your description:

    Stephen> When you start xdm, the X server starts and the login
    Stephen> window is displayed. When you enter your username and
    Stephen> password, the login window disappears and an xterm with a
    Stephen> shell starts. When you type 'xconsole' at this shell, you
    Stephen> get the error you mentioned.

    Stephen> Is this correct?

    Stephen> Steve Early sde1000@cam.ac.uk

 I wonder if you've set the DISPLAY variable?  See if /etc/profile or
~/.profile (aka ~/.bash_profile) has 'export DISPLAY=:0.0' in it.

    8<---------------------- cut here ------------------------->8
bittersweet:~# export DISPLAY=:0.0
bittersweet:~# emacs
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
emacs: Cannot connect to X server :0.0.
Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
connections from your machine.

bittersweet:~# unset DISPLAY
bittersweet:~# xconsole
Error: Can't open display:

bittersweet:~# export DISPLAY=:0.0
bittersweet:~# xconsole
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
Error: Can't open display: :0.0
bittersweet:~#
 I did this in an xterm with a 'su -login' in it.  Root has no DISPLAY
set initially, and also, xhost has not been told to authorize root's
programs to display on karlheg's X display.

Try: $ xman
 You can also find out a lot by looking for X windows on the WWW.

<karlheg@teleport.com>   Portland, Oregon,   USA       Linux 1.2.13 ELF