Re: How STRESS a system?

bootstrap gcc (ie. make with installed compiler, then make with
itself, then make that with itself, and compare the last two. Standard
procedure.) Do it with -g turned on... which is enough to make it swap
in 32M on some systems :-) [The guy here doing powerpc gcc work uses a
48M p100 running linux as the host.]
					_Mark_ <eichin@cygnus.com>
					Cygnus Support, Eastern USA

   SUB: How STRESS a system?
   SUM: Mark Shuttleworth <marks@thawte.com>->debian-user@Pixar.com

   Hi all,

   I'm evaluating some new hardware,  and I'd like to *really stress* it.
   16 MB RAM, 1GB disk, processors range from 486DX4-100 to P6 Pentium Pro 200,
   so this is going to be fun ;-)

   All suggestions gratefully accepted.  Right now I'm looking at:

     - kernel builds
     - 16000 bit RSA key generation, signature, decryption, encryption
     - spawning 200 httpd's

   Any other ideas?  I really need to show up any hardware problems
   asap.

   Thanks,
   Mark