Re: ndbm is a mess

> I tried grabbing the current gdbm and db packages.

Please check if you're using the following:
libdb1-1.85.2-5.deb, libdb1-dev-1.85.2-5.deb, libgdbm1-1.7.3-8.deb,
libgdbm1-dev-1.7.3-8.deb

> We have a problem
> with ndbm.  When H.J.Lu still maintained these, we had discussed that
> db should not be used to emulate ndbm, but that gdbm should.  But the
> current packages have reverted.  Now db is installing the
> /usr/include/ndbm.h and gdbm is not installing any ndbm.h.

master jdassen 07:19:57 /ftp/debian/unstable/binary/devel > dpkg -l libdb1 libdb1-dev libgdbm1 libgdbm1-dev
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
||/ Name         Version   Rev  Description
+++-============-=========-====-===============================================
ii  libdb1          1.85.2 5    the Berkeley database routines (runtime version
ii  libdb1-dev      1.85.2 5    the Berkeley database routines (development fil
ii  libgdbm1         1.7.3 8    GNU dbm database routines (runtime version).
ii  libgdbm1-dev     1.7.3 8    GNU dbm database routines (development files)

master jdassen 07:22:12 /ftp/debian/unstable/binary/devel > find /usr/include -name ndbm.h
/usr/include/ndbm.h
/usr/include/db/ndbm.h

master jdassen 07:22:27 /ftp/debian/unstable/binary/devel > dpkg -S /usr/include/ndbm.h
libgdbm1-dev: /usr/include/ndbm.h
^^^^^^^^

Are you sure you're using the latest versions?

[...]
> We need the following:
>
> 1) db must install in /usr/include/db.  If you have an application
>    that you know will work with db, then you simply do
>    -I/usr/include/db and -ldb.
This has been done already.

> 2) gdbm must install it's ndbm.h (with prototypes) in /usr/include.
It does.

>    libndbm.xxx is symlinked to libgdbm.xxx.
For both .a and .so; done in the current package.

> 3) gdbm should be built with flock turned off.  flock is not
>    compatible with fcntl locking (if gdbm locks the file with flock
>    and your app uses fcntl you lose.)  Since fcntl locking is POSIX we
>    should prefer it.  Unfortunately, gdbm-1.7.3 builds out-of-the-box
>    with flock, so you must manually edit the autoconf.h.

Isn't it possible to tell Configure our preference?

Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking