re:stable vs unstable

>After reading a post for netscape.deb being added to the debian packages
>I thought I would get it and clean up my netscape files. However, it wasn't
>in the stable directory, but instead in the unstable. I'm curious as to
>what the philosophy is as to where packages are put.

It is my understanding that "stable" is not supposed to have new packages
added to it.

>I am leary about taking things out of the unstable directory as I am not
>prepared to deal with ELF yet. Soooo, what about us slowpokes that are still
>using only  a.out? Does stable only contain "frozen" packages? Would the stable
>directory be more aptly called "static"?

You can safely pick up netscape*.deb from anywhere since it has no actual
code anywhere in it.  However, I have an ELF system and cannot test the
netscape binary on a 0.93 system.  "file" says:  (whatever it means)

callandor:569 - ~/build/netscape-2.0> file `which netscape`
/usr/bin/X11/netscape: Linux/i386 demand-paged executable (QMAGIC) - stripped

As for v1.1, I have always found it to be very stable.  It's just not
as well tested, yet.

                                        Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@bnr.ca )