Re: ssh anyone?

Marek Michalkiewicz writes ("ssh anyone?"):
> The license says it may not be sold commercially without permission, but
> including it on CD-ROMs with other free software is explicitly permitted.
> It would be real nice to have it standard, along with a ssh-aware rdist.

The copyright sounds fair enough for us, then, provided that we can
get a similar exemption from them for tapes and other high-volume
media.

(Why do people who write these copyright licences never *think* ?)

> There is still a problem with silly US crypto export restrictions and
> patents (RSA) - but it should be OK outside the US...  (IDEA is patented
> too, but triple-DES can be used instead if necessary.)
>
> Are there any plans to create International version of the distribution
> containing such munitions (though I don't see how you can kill someone
> using ssh :-), which is not affected by these problems?

You're confusing patent and ITAR issues.  We can't do very much about
the patent issues, apart from perhaps put the package(s) in non-free.

We're working on sorting out the ITAR mess.  Please bear with us, and
don't make a lot of FUD[1] and noise in the meantime :-).  We are most
vulnerable to these kinds of issues if they are discussed loudly and
heatedly in public.  If you want anything clarifying please email me
privately.

Ian.

[1] Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.