re:Performance of Debian

>One of my friends is an old unix pro and he cannot believe that an intel
>system can run x windows with any degree fo performance. I would like to
>hear about experiences with x on let's say 486100 DX?

X-Windows tends to put more of a load on the graphics system than on
the CPU (as I understand it, anyway).  I've got a 486dx266 with a
Dimond Viper VLB (accelerated card) w/2MB and run at 1280x1024.  I can
drag opaque windows around the screen as well as I can on my Sparc-20
at work.

I'm sure somebody else can provide some standard X benchmarks.

                                        Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@bnr.ca )