Shadow Passwords and wu-ftpd

I have recently installed shadow passwords on my system and have
experienced problems with getting wu-ftpd to work.  I recompiled wu-ftpd
from the debian source.  I changed the Makefile.lnx to include -lshadow
and it compiled relatively well.  After build install, I restarted
inetd and tested the daemon with no success.

Could someone please let me know if I have forgotten an important patch
or step?

thanks in advance,

*  Arthur Scott Poore                     poorart@charlie.acc.iit.edu *
*  	--"Even PizzaHut(R) makes a bad pizza every now and then."    *