Re: Reply-to:

ian@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk (Ian Jackson)  wrote on 08.02.96 in <[🔎] m0tkLTn-0002aEC@chiark.chu.cam.ac.uk>:

> Note that merely setting the Reply-To WILL NOT WORK (unless your
> service provider rewrite your return-path for you - which they may do,
> but you should ask them so that you know).

I've just fought with the same problem yesterday. If anybody is
interested, the provider in question is T-Online; you *can* do CSLIP with
Linux (you'll probably have to recompile the kernel, the 1.2.x modules
don't work for CSLIP as provided by Debian). Their MTA (a modified Smail,
I believe, announces nearly the same version number as ours) does
automatically rewrite From: and Sender: in that mail - but it doesn't
rewrite the Envelope. Bounces go nowhere useful.

I'll probably report this as a T-Online bug and work on a hack to rewrite
the Envelope myself.

[rant mode on}

I hate online services. My home box uses a sane provider where I get my
own domain. But that one can't serve businesses ... I'll probably try to
talk my boss into looking for another provider in the area.

[rant mode off again]

MfG Kai