Built kernel want to remove old modules

I have built my first kernel 1.3.58 to have IP masquerading in the kernel. I
built what I need for function into the kernel and now have modules I do not
need. I have commented them out in /etc/modules for the time being but it
still tries to calculate dependencies. I would like to remove the modules
from the system if they are not needed if that makes sense. I am going to
use this machine to support 4 windows machines for dialup to the internet
and will be using diald, ppp, and IP masquerading I seem to remember
something about needing the ppp module even if ppp was in the kernel. Any
comments help or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks Ron Mathis

rvmathis@rvm.iii.net