Re: User invocation of pppd (Re: diald & pppd trouble query)

On 27 November 1995 Joel Ray Holveck wrote:
> around to it yet.  Here's the basic idea:
>
> /*
>  * ppp-on.c

Thank you for the code. As I understand it, I would make the executable
owned by root.ppp, make its permissions 4750, and add the relevant users to
group ppp? Forgive my ignorance, but when pppd starts the shell to execute
/etc/ppp/ppp-connect, will the shell have my or root's uid? i.e. does your
programme get around the permissions problem on /etc/ppp/ppp-connect?

Also, it is not clear to me whether it would be best to release this as an
add-on to the ppp package, to include it in the ppp package, or to
otherwise modify that package to obtain the same result, e.g. by moving
pppd to /usr/bin, making it root.ppp and 4750. Still the problem with
/etc/ppp/ppp-connect of course.

Regards
Philip